14 April 2024

14 April 2024 - MGOL - Abraham Ortelius - Birth Anniversary

Happy Birthday to the man who created the first Modern Day Atlas – A collection of Maps. Abraham Ortelius (Spanish Netherlands – Modern Day Belgium) – A Geographer, Cartographer and Cosmographer from Antwerp.



Abraham Ortelius (b. 14 April 1527 d. 28 June 1598)


 

He created the first modern day atlas called Theatrum Orbis Terrarum (Theatre of the World) in 1570. It was a collection of 70 maps on 53 copper sheets. Some parts of this original Atlas is housed today in the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. (USA)



Theatrum Orbis Terrarum 1570



The Atlas has played a very important role in my life since early childhood and has been my constant companion all my life.
















Thank You Abraham Ortelius for this wonderful gift to mankind.


- Dr. Salil Latay
Pune, India
14 April 2024, Sunday






Images and Videos used from the Internet. All rights and credits belong to the respective owners and creators. I or this blog site do not claim any right, ownership or credit on the material used here in this post. I - Dr. Salil Latay sincerely appreciate and thank everyone associated with the material used here.

6 comments:

  1. True. The Atlas makes me wonder and appreciate the wonderful deed. I spend a lot of time with the Atlas. My good friend. Thank Dr Salil Latay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hema Mascarenhas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful gift to Mankind.

    ReplyDelete